Dr Mirian Zavala, DNS, RN., Chair of Policy Committee at the Association of Hispanic Healthcare Executives (AHHE) shares the importance of enrolling uninsured Latinos in healthcare insurance plans under the Affordable Healthcare Act. Some key points are:
- In 2003, the cost of caring for those individuals with chronic diseases, loss of workdays, and loss of productivity, amounted to more than 1 trillion dollars.
- Out of every $4 spent in healthcare, $3 went to take care of chronic diseases which can be prevented.
- Prevention is key to lower costs for hospitals and insurance companies, and it can be done through informing and assisting in the enrollment of those without insurance.
- There are 15 million Latinos without health insurance, and 61.4% of them fall between the age range of 25-35 years old.
- If high digital media users also fall in the age range of 61.4% of uninsured Latinos, it is possible that perhaps Digital Media is the way to enroll them in the healthcare system.