Grupo Parada was announced as a winner of the “Innovate for the Underserved” Business Plan Challenge presented by the Aetna Foundation, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the National Health IT Collaborative for the Underserved during the 9th Annual Health 2.0 Conference in Santa Clara, California. The national competition called for the brightest minds in health IT to compete with their best ideas for commercializing products and services that use technology to reduce disparities in underserved and minority populations. As a winning solution, Grupo Parada proposed the NicoYes App, an effective culturally relevant mobile app that focuses on a positive message and resources for Spanish-speaking parents.
The NicoYes App will result in:
- Hispanic Parents improving their Health Care literacy so their
- Children will have better quality of care and health outcomes, while
- Healthcare providers will lower their costs and build stronger doctor-patient relationships at the patient’s early age.
Parents will be engaged by the app in multiple ways; from entertaining educational videos and games, to personal notifications (alerts) and one-on-one interactions with doctors and health insurance providers. The guide will show parents:
- How they can make informed decisions, like: what scenarios should be considered emergencies
- A list of the healthcare providers nearby, and reminders of when it’s time for a doctor’s appointment
- Tips on getting ready for the doctor’s appointment so they can make the children’s experience less intimidating and more positive
- Educational resources on how to keep their kids active and eating healthy
According to Nielsen, 77% US Hispanics own a smartphone, and 73% of them use their smartphones to search for information on health conditions [Pew Research Center]. The NicoYes App is a project in process of development and is one of Grupo Parada’s best practices to engage Hispanics at the right time, with the right content, and through the right device.
Let’s Look into Ways We Can Work Together